Author Topic: Babb may have jumped from frying pan into fire  (Read 4784 times)

Offline jjepsu92

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Babb may have jumped from frying pan into fire
« on: November 8, 2010, 04:51 PM »
This can't be good for ISU.
http://thenameisdalton.com/

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mgreen17025
    • View Profile
Re: Babb may have jumped from frying pan into fire
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Wow.  This is just unreal. 

manatree

« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2010, 05:43 PM »
These are the types of violations that I think the NCAA should focus on. Of course, these types are much harder to prove than meeting Ashton & Demi at a football game.

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Absolutely it's dirty.

Here's another one that has me blown away...

Have you heard about Cam Newton, where a guy named Kenny Rogers was asking for $200K for a school to get his commitment?  Well, the news reports, including ESPN, describes Rogers, who runs many elite camps, as a "Collegiate match-maker".  In other words, a person who matches an athlete to a university.

I have never heard of this put into terms, but does that SCREAM of being dirty, or is it just me?

Offline FREE_GENO

• Nittany Lion
  • Formerly C21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Absolutely it's dirty.

Have you heard about Cam Newton, where a guy named Kenny Rogers was asking for $200K for a school to get his commitment?  Well, the news reports, including ESPN, describes Rogers, who runs many elite camps, as a "Collegiate match-maker".  In other words, a person who matches an athlete to a university.

I have never heard of this put into terms, but does that SCREAM of being dirty, or is it just me?

Take it up with the man yourself.
They’re probably better than Stony Brook.

Offline State4Life

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Absolutely it's dirty.

Wow, that looks exactly like some man who goes to my gym.  There's no chance he's from the Atlanta area, is there?
Wellness Coach - Need to lose weight, gain energy, or just improved general health?  Ask me how!
PSU Class of 2011

Offline blue2blue

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Absolutely it's dirty.

I guess this time Kenny Rogers just didn't know when to fold 'em!   ;)

Offline noobd

• Nittany Lion
  • March Dreamin'
    • View Profile
    • South Orange Juice
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 8, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Jeez. ISU looked to have a bright outlook, starting next season. This certainly doesn't help.
Twitter
"I just copped me a pair of the coldest dancing shoes ever... They are called the 'Penn States' " - Talor Battle

Offline State4Life

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Hahaha, wow - I didn't even notice that the guys name is Kenny Rogers.  Yeah, I thought that that photo looked a bit too "professional."  So, I take it he doesn't go to my gym ;-)
Wellness Coach - Need to lose weight, gain energy, or just improved general health?  Ask me how!
PSU Class of 2011

Offline kidcoyote

• Deadwood
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Hahaha, wow - I didn't even notice that the guys name is Kenny Rogers.  Yeah, I thought that that photo looked a bit too "professional."  So, I take it he doesn't go to my gym ;-)

He might very well be from Atlanta, though I think he's from Nashville, or that town where all the stars have their own places, Branson, MO, home of "Dollywood". Tell him he's reminds you of Kenny Rogers. Does it look like he's had a facelift? Last I saw him on TV, probably 5 years ago, he looked like Joan Rivers his skin was so stretched.

Sad for Chris. Still think part of the reason he left was to go to a place where he thought he could be the #1 star. As a junior here, he still wouldn't be #1. The grass isn't always greener. It's a shame, he'd still be the best 3 shooter here,  probably at the 3. On FIU, how can Isiah Thomas still be employed in the sport? Banned from going back to the Knicks as a part time consultant by David Stern, how could FIU keep him? How could they hire him after he lost the $12 million sexual harassment case? Did the President not know about it? Don't you have to put it on your resume?  I mean, what do you put under "reason for leaving last job?" $12 million verdict against me? ;) A guy like him is likely to bankrupt a school. Now this? He starts hitting on co-eds, fuggedaboutit. They'll arrest the freakin' President for negligence. Are recruits really going to be attracted there to play for him? And their parents?

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2010, 09:22 AM »

He might very well be from Atlanta, though I think he's from Nashville, or that town where all the stars have their own places, Branson, MO, home of "Dollywood". Tell him he's reminds you of Kenny Rogers. Does it look like he's had a facelift? Last I saw him on TV, probably 5 years ago, he looked like Joan Rivers his skin was so stretched.

Sad for Chris. Still think part of the reason he left was to go to a place where he thought he could be the #1 star. As a junior here, he still wouldn't be #1. The grass isn't always greener. It's a shame, he'd still be the best 3 shooter here,  probably at the 3. On FIU, how can Isiah Thomas still be employed in the sport? Banned from going back to the Knicks as a part time consultant by David Stern, how could FIU keep him? How could they hire him after he lost the $12 million sexual harassment case? Did the President not know about it? Don't you have to put it on your resume?  I mean, what do you put under "reason for leaving last job?" $12 million verdict against me? ;) A guy like him is likely to bankrupt a school. Now this? He starts hitting on co-eds, fuggedaboutit. They'll arrest the freakin' President for negligence. Are recruits really going to be attracted there to play for him? And their parents?

I thought Dollywood was in Tennessee, not Missouri.   ???

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2010, 09:51 AM »

I thought Dollywood was in Tennessee, not Missouri.   ???

It is.  He's got his country hot spots confused.
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Absolutely it's dirty.

Maybe this should have it's own topic...

The Cam Newton fiasco just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier.  I can't believe the NCAA have cleared this thing.  Here's the latest I have heard:

Cam was on Florida's roster for 2 years, being tutored by Florida's offensive coordinator Dan Mullen, who had coached Chris Leak and Tebow to Heisman trophies.

The same year Cam leaves, Mullin also lands a job as head man at MISSISSIPPI STATE.  From the stories I heard, the two were still tight.  Cam actually would sit in on team meetings at MSU.  He was a dead lock for MSU until the allegations of payments came up.  That's why Cam was so sorriful when he told MSU that he would not be attending, hence the quote from Cam, about not being able to turn down Auburn because the moeny was just too much.

Offline Duff

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2010, 07:40 PM »
On the Cam Newton issue, I always believed that if a parent was found to have violated NCAA rules, that the NCAA would treat that as the same as if their
son/daughter had committed the violation.  Anyone else have that same understanding?  Without that, this is just a huge loopehole. 

Now, it appears that the parent committs a flagrant NCAA violation and there is zero impact on their athletic son/daughter.
It shouldn't matter weather or not Cam knew (do not belive he wasn't aware) of the violation, if that violation was committed for him by his daddy.  The NCAA has found tha daddy committed the violation, therefore the daddy's athlete should bear the penalty.  Like I said without it, the NCAA just created a HUGE loophole.

Offline NittanyIllini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2010, 10:55 PM »
On the Cam Newton issue, I always believed that if a parent was found to have violated NCAA rules, that the NCAA would treat that as the same as if their
son/daughter had committed the violation.  Anyone else have that same understanding?  Without that, this is just a huge loopehole. 

Now, it appears that the parent committs a flagrant NCAA violation and there is zero impact on their athletic son/daughter.
It shouldn't matter weather or not Cam knew (do not belive he wasn't aware) of the violation, if that violation was committed for him by his daddy.  The NCAA has found tha daddy committed the violation, therefore the daddy's athlete should bear the penalty.  Like I said without it, the NCAA just created a HUGE loophole

Totally agree.  NoClueAtAll strikes again.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 05:57 AM »

It shouldn't matter weather or not Cam knew (do not belive he wasn't aware) of the violation, if that violation was committed for him by his daddy.  The NCAA has found tha daddy committed the violation, therefore the daddy's athlete should bear the penalty.  Like I said without it, the NCAA just created a HUGE loophole

Totally agree.  NoClueAtAll strikes again.
Wow, I love the NoClueAtAll   thing.   Maybe they ought to change the name to  JKMF    Just Keep the Money Flowing

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 06:05 AM »
......................or.................RBNN....................Run By Networks Now

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 08:45 AM »

It shouldn't matter weather or not Cam knew (do not belive he wasn't aware) of the violation, if that violation was committed for him by his daddy.  The NCAA has found tha daddy committed the violation, therefore the daddy's athlete should bear the penalty.  Like I said without it, the NCAA just created a HUGE loophole.

This is a tough position in my opinion.  Why should a child be punished because he/she has stupid parents?  If a school is stupid enough to pay, punish them not the kid.  If an agent is stupid enough to give Reggie Bush's parents a bunch of money and benefits, take away is agent license.  Don't punish the kid.  To me, unless the kid is directly involved he/she shouldn't be punished.  It's kinda like putting a kid in jail because his dad commits a crime.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 08:51 AM »

IF....................only it were than simple. Cam knew nothing or received nothing   ???    ???   ???    ???    ???   ::)    ::)    ::)    ::)    ::)    ::)   

But, rest assured the NCAA will be investigating.....................as soon as the TV money is received!!   

This is a tough position in my opinion.  Why should a child be punished because he/she has stupid parents?  If a school is stupid enough to pay, punish them not the kid.  If an agent is stupid enough to give Reggie Bush's parents a bunch of money and benefits, take away is agent license.  Don't punish the kid.  To me, unless the kid is directly involved he/she shouldn't be punished.  It's kinda like putting a kid in jail because his dad commits a crime.

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 09:36 AM »

IF....................only it were than simple. Cam knew nothing or received nothing   ???    ???   ???    ???    ???   ::)    ::)    ::)    ::)    ::)    ::)   

But, rest assured the NCAA will be investigating.....................as soon as the TV money is received!!   

Should we anticipate some bad calls in favor of Oregon if the game is close?  This would keep the BCS  from having to vacate a title if Cam is found to have had knowledge of all these shenanigans.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 10:27 AM »

Should we anticipate some bad calls in favor of Oregon if the game is close?  This would keep the BCS  from having to vacate a title if Cam is found to have had knowledge of all these shenanigans.

They (NCAA) do not care about VACATED TITLES..........they only care about money. They know the public has a very short memory.
This year they wanted Auburn - Oregon........................NOT................TCU. Who wins doesn't matter. Fix would have been "IN" for the Auburn - SC game a week ago.

If you believe in the morality of the NCAA, come to Pittsburgh. I can show a few bridges that I can sell ya....................maybe even an under water tunnel   ;)

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 12:46 PM »
They (NCAA) do not care about VACATED TITLES..........they only care about money. They know the public has a very short memory.
This year they wanted Auburn - Oregon........................NOT................TCU. Who wins doesn't matter. Fix would have been "IN" for the Auburn - SC game a week ago.

If you believe in the morality of the NCAA, come to Pittsburgh. I can show a few bridges that I can sell ya....................maybe even an under water tunnel   ;)

Aren't the NCAA and BCS two different organizations?  The BCS might care more about having a "legit" champion (um, "legit" is tongue in cheek).  They already have one vacated title. 

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 01:53 PM »

Aren't the NCAA and BCS two different organizations?  The BCS might care more about having a "legit" champion (um, "legit" is tongue in cheek).  They already have one vacated title. 

Yes they are.
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 03:04 PM »

Not good at math, but I don't see a   L   E    G   I   or a     in NCAA or BCS    :-\