Author Topic: We've got ourselves a real topic--Non Conference Schedule..  (Read 20923 times)

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Got to see the media guide today, couldn't get down all the names but I picked up 11 of them.

http://victorybellrings.com/2010/07/08/penn-state-basketball-out-of-conference-schedule/

Offline FREE_GENO

• Nittany Lion
  • Formerly C21
    • View Profile
Re: We've got ourselves a real topic--Non Conference Schedule..
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Looks like the St. Mary's logo in that article instead of the Mt. St. Mary's... could be my mistake but I think the G stands for Gaels.
They’re probably better than Stony Brook.

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Looks like the St. Mary's logo in that article instead of the Mt. St. Mary's... could be my mistake but I think the G stands for Gaels.

already fixing it.lol

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mgreen17025
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2010, 03:17 PM »
What's the reference to "Baylor game"?  The paragraph after seems focused on BYU.

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2010, 03:18 PM »
What's the reference to "Baylor game"?  The paragraph after seems focused on BYU.

Also just edited.lol...my spellcheck wrote that part in itself. I caught both errors as I was typing.. :-\

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2010, 03:34 PM »
The Duquesne game will be very interesting. Two newcomers, TJ McConnell and 6-5 Jerry Jones have played well in the Pgh Summer League. In McConnell's case.......VERY well. Plus the Dukes have Clark and Saunders back. IF they give McConnell the ball and let him run the show...........look out.
BUT, the Dukes will be small/weak up front.

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2010, 03:35 PM »
"At the basketball banquet this year it was mentioned that Penn State would be playing LeHigh but it was unclear if that was an exhibition game or the home opener."

Whoever was speculating about this doesn't understand the NCAA rules.  You can't play a D1 foe in an exhibition game (you can scrimmage one as long as the game isn't announced to the public) so if it was announced as the home opener at the banquet, it would have to be a non-exhibition game.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2010, 03:51 PM by UncleLar »
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2010, 03:37 PM »
"At the basketball banquet this year it was mentioned that Penn State would be playing LeHigh but it was unclear if that was an exhibition game or the home opener."

Whoever was speculating about this doesn't understand the NCAA rules.  You can't play a D1 foe in an exhibition game so if it was announced as the home opener, it would have to be a non-exhibition game.

Learn something new everyday

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2010, 03:53 PM »

Whoever was speculating about this doesn't understand the NCAA rules.  You can't play a D1 foe in an exhibition game so if it was announced as the home opener, it would have to be a non-exhibition game.

I modified my original post to clear something up.  You can scrimmage a D1 opponent but it has to be an unannounced, closed to the press and public, no score kept, scrimmage.  So as soon as the Lehigh game was announced at the banquet, it was clear that it wouldn't be as a scrimmage and it couldn't be an exhibition, so it would have to be an official game.

Online Finding Forrester

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2010, 03:53 PM »
In my opinion there are no great games, but several decent games (Maryland, VT, Ole Miss, Fairfield, Duquesne, St Joes), a couple toss up games (Lehigh, MSM, Radford) and two most likely really bad games (CCS and Furman).  Just shooting from the hip, I bet you get 7 games against teams in the top 200 RPI (which is pretty good), 2 more in the 200-250 range and then 2 over 250.   I don't like the games against CCS and Furman but I guess I really can't complain otherwise except that there's no wow factor to the schedule.  Also, I had visions of BYU and the 76 Classic so I think I was going to be somewhat unhappy regardless.

I'm guessing we go 7-4 against that schedule.

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 8, 2010, 03:55 PM »

I modified my original post to clear something up.  You can scrimmage a D1 opponent but it has to be an unannounced, closed to the press and public, no score kept, scrimmage.  So as soon as the Lehigh game was announced at the banquet, it was clear that it wouldn't be as a scrimmage and it couldn't be an exhibition, so it would have to be an official game.

That makes sense, I guess that's how we played Duquesne

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 8, 2010, 03:59 PM »
In my opinion there are no great games, but several decent games (Maryland, VT, Ole Miss, Fairfield, Duquesne, St Joes), a couple toss up games (Lehigh, MSM, Radford) and two most likely really bad games (CCS and Furman).  Just shooting from the hip, I bet you get 7 games against teams in the top 200 RPI (which is pretty good), 2 more in the 200-250 range and then 2 over 250.   I don't like the games against CCS and Furman but I guess I really can't complain otherwise except that there's no wow factor to the schedule.  Also, I had visions of BYU and the 76 Classic so I think I was going to be somewhat unhappy regardless.

I think that you have to look at it form the angle of what a team like Penn State needs. Teams that win, and teams that they can beat. Maryland, VT, and Ole Miss are all in theory Top 5 teams in their conferences. Fairfield could win the MAAC without much extra effort, Lehigh could win their conference.

Games like CCS, Furman, and MSM are games you know you should win, but still have to play.

In the end the average RPI is 144, which I'll take. Things will be different than the average..duh..but I think Ed looked from teams that are getting better or can still do what they do. Davidson played a bunch of great teams last year but lost too many of the games for the RPI to make up for it. You still have to win, and I think this schedule allows that to happen

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 8, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Radford loses most everything. The biggest 2 losses are Big guy Art Parakhouski (D1 rebounding champ) who is playing in the NBA (celtics) Summer League. Four year starter PG Amir Johnson (Quaker Valley HS) is gone also.

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2010, 04:43 PM »

I think that you have to look at it form the angle of what a team like Penn State needs. Teams that win, and teams that they can beat. Maryland, VT, and Ole Miss are all in theory Top 5 teams in their conferences. Fairfield could win the MAAC without much extra effort, Lehigh could win their conference.

Games like CCS, Furman, and MSM are games you know you should win, but still have to play.

In the end the average RPI is 144, which I'll take. Things will be different than the average..duh..but I think Ed looked from teams that are getting better or can still do what they do. Davidson played a bunch of great teams last year but lost too many of the games for the RPI to make up for it. You still have to win, and I think this schedule allows that to happen

I think the schedule has the chance to be FANTASTIC !!!!

Remember, the opponent's RPI is an indication of the impact on our RPI, but not always accurate.  Last season, Lehigh had an RPI of 152, which is decent.  But, they had a record of 22-10, which is TOP SHELF !!!!  Their RPI is meaningless to us, it's their record that affect our RPI.  On the flip side, Duquesne had an RPI of 114, but their record of 15-15 does NOTHING for our RPI. 

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 8, 2010, 05:06 PM »

I think the schedule has the chance to be FANTASTIC !!!!

Remember, the opponent's RPI is an indication of the impact on our RPI, but not always accurate.  Last season, Lehigh had an RPI of 152, which is decent.  But, they had a record of 22-10, which is TOP SHELF !!!!  Their RPI is meaningless to us, it's their record that affect our RPI.  On the flip side, Duquesne had an RPI of 114, but their record of 15-15 does NOTHING for our RPI. 

Just to reinforce your point (although Duquesne isn't near as bad as you implied). 

Here's the schools on the schedule with the RPI ranking AND their RPI impact ranking, ranked by the latter.  As you noted, it's the second ranking that's the important one.

School - RPI - RPI Impact

Maryland - 24 - 31
Va Tech - 59 - 47
Ole Miss - 61 - 61
Fairfield - 81 - 72
Lehigh - 152 - 86
Radford - 168 - 127
Duquesne - 114 - 152
Mt St Mary's - 171 - 161
St Joe's - 184 - 233
Furman - 278 - 250
Central Ct State - 309 - 253

This is a good schedule (assuming teams play about the same as they did last year). 

Offline noobd

• Nittany Lion
  • March Dreamin'
    • View Profile
    • South Orange Juice
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2010, 05:14 PM »
What about Delaware State? Were they not seen on the media guide? I also thought Maine was rumored to be on the schedule.

I see it like this...

Good schedules:
Maryland, Fairfield, St Joes, Ole Miss, Duquesne, VT (6)

Potentially okay:
Radford, Lehigh (2)

Bad:
Furman, Mt St. Marys, CCSU (3)

Any remaining games (1-3) are probably going to fall under potentially okay or bad since they haven't been released yet (bigger market teams leak easier). So I would say this schedule is OKAY. A lot better than some recent schedules but the abundance of cupcakes is still there.

Record with this schedule: 8-3
Twitter
"I just copped me a pair of the coldest dancing shoes ever... They are called the 'Penn States' " - Talor Battle

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2010, 05:29 PM »
What about Delaware State? Were they not seen on the media guide? I also thought Maine was rumored to be on the schedule.

I see it like this...

Good schedules:
Maryland, Fairfield, St Joes, Ole Miss, Duquesne, VT (6)

Potentially okay:
Radford, Lehigh (2)

Bad:
Furman, Mt St. Marys, CCSU (3)

Any remaining games (1-3) are probably going to fall under potentially okay or bad since they haven't been released yet (bigger market teams leak easier). So I would say this schedule is OKAY. A lot better than some recent schedules but the abundance of cupcakes is still there.

Record with this schedule: 8-3

There won't be any remaining games.  Assuming they are correct, those eleven are it.  Since we aren't playing in a tournament we only get 29 games.  They only way we could have more would be if some of those were part of a exempt tournament but I've seen nothing to suggest that might be true (unless PSUStretch's tweets about finalizing a contract had to do with a tournament that hasn't finalized their teams yet).
« Last Edit: July 8, 2010, 05:33 PM by UncleLar »

Offline noobd

• Nittany Lion
  • March Dreamin'
    • View Profile
    • South Orange Juice
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 8, 2010, 06:02 PM »
There won't be any remaining games.  Assuming they are correct, those eleven are it.  Since we aren't playing in a tournament we only get 29 games.  They only way we could have more would be if some of those were part of a exempt tournament but I've seen nothing to suggest that might be true (unless PSUStretch's tweets about finalizing a contract had to do with a tournament that hasn't finalized their teams yet).

Oh okay. OP said "couldn't get down all the names" as if there were a few remaining games. Guess not?
Twitter
"I just copped me a pair of the coldest dancing shoes ever... They are called the 'Penn States' " - Talor Battle

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 8, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Maybe I missed something..........Do we know which games are at home??

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 8, 2010, 06:11 PM »

Oh okay. OP said "couldn't get down all the names" as if there were a few remaining games. Guess not?

It was a quick eye-scan situation. I didn't want to claim to have grabbed all of them, I'm pretty sure I did, but I was leaving room for error.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 8, 2010, 08:13 PM »

It was a quick eye-scan situation. I didn't want to claim to have grabbed all of them, I'm pretty sure I did, but I was leaving room for error.

I seem to remember a mention here of Delaware State playing @ the BJC this year.
PSU hoops fan since 2/28/66!

Offline kidcoyote

• Deadwood
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 8, 2010, 10:11 PM »
It looks better, but I'm not the expert on this as others seem to be. Still, since Beilein came to Michigan, they've played and beaten Duke, UCLA and played UConn twice. He hasn't waited til Michigan became good. The one year the made the tourney, PSU had a better conference record. Wisky played Texas last year or the year before. Why does it seem impossible to get a game like that? The Michigan UConn games were played on an off day during conference season. Does anybody really put Maryland, VT, Ole Miss and Fairfield in the same category as those opponents? IMO, Beilein has bigger plans, higher target.  James Allen's got it right,  "As a man thinketh so is he."

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mgreen17025
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 8, 2010, 10:31 PM »
It looks better, but I'm not the expert on this as others seem to be. Still, since Beilein came to Michigan, they've played and beaten Duke, UCLA and played UConn twice. He hasn't waited til Michigan became good. The one year the made the tourney, PSU had a better conference record. Wisky played Texas last year or the year before. Why does it seem impossible to get a game like that? The Michigan UConn games were played on an off day during conference season. Does anybody really put Maryland, VT, Ole Miss and Fairfield in the same category as those opponents? IMO, Beilein has bigger plans, higher target.  James Allen's got it right,  "As a man thinketh so is he."

WE KNOW!!!!! ;)

psu_DC

« Reply #23 on: July 8, 2010, 10:37 PM »

School - RPI - RPI Impact

Maryland - 24 - 31
Va Tech - 59 - 47
Ole Miss - 61 - 61
Fairfield - 81 - 72
Lehigh - 152 - 86
Radford - 168 - 127
Duquesne - 114 - 152
Mt St Mary's - 171 - 161
St Joe's - 184 - 233
Furman - 278 - 250
Central Ct State - 309 - 253

This is a good schedule (assuming teams play about the same as they did last year).  

Could live without the CC St and Furman games, and would like to know why neither Pitt nor Villanova appear on our schedule regularly or even semi-regularly.  What is still unpleasant is that if you take away Maryland, which is a forced matchup, this schedule totally sucks.  
« Last Edit: July 8, 2010, 10:40 PM by psu_DC »

Offline think1

• Nittany Lion
  • James Franklion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 8, 2010, 11:30 PM »
I say the winner of the Fairfield should get Majok Majok. And the winner of the St. Joes game gets Andrew Nicholas.