Author Topic: GoPSUSports: 2013-04 Season preview  (Read 1324 times)

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Re: GoPSUSports: 2013-04 Season preview
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Ross Travis is going to play a guard spot this year.......................Interesting.

Offline Mikey

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Loved the article and great interview.  Love Coaches enthusiasm and optimism.
Drinkin' the Kool-aid!!

Offline JakkL

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Ross Travis is going to play a guard spot this year.......................Interesting.
Maybe the "4th" guard spot.  We have Frazier, JJ, DJ and Roberts expected to play a lot of minutes plus Woodward.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Maybe the "4th" guard spot.  We have Frazier, JJ, DJ and Roberts expected to play a lot of minutes plus Woodward.

That's the way I see it also.  Plus, don't forget Thorpe.

Offline TomF

• Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:24 PM »

Positions are a lot more slippery to pin down nowadays. Regardless of whether you call guys guards, forwards, or just wings, you still need to have a couple guys on the floor who are capable of defending bigger players.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:43 PM »

[/b]
Positions are a lot more slippery to pin down nowadays. Regardless of whether you call guys guards, forwards, or just wings, you still need to have a couple guys on the floor who are capable of defending bigger players.

Great point.   Things have really changed since "my day." It seems everybody wants to be called or considered a perimeter player. Funny how the game has changed..............(not saying it has changed for the better!)   

Offline bdroc

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
I don't buy the Chambers hype
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01 PM »
He's saying what he has to say and he's playing the style he has to play given the players he has available.

How well did Travis or Taylor shoot the 3 last year?  How good were they at taking their men off the dribble?  Not so good.  Wisniewski has no outside shot.  The offense is going to rely on 2 things:

1. Speed and quickness of Frazier & Newbill, beating opponents down the court.  That will work as long as we can rebound.  Travis is a good rebounder and so are Frazier and Newbill.  We could use a big guy to rebound.

2. Frazier and Newbill taking their men off the dribble.  Those guys are good but that's a lot of one on one play.  Also, we need good 3 pt shooters to stretch the defense.  That's going to have to come from the true freshmen which is obviously an unknown.

The biggest problem is on defense.  We can run an up tempo offense but how do we stop opponents?  Travis is only 6'6".  Who is our shot blocker?  Who is our enforcer? 

Offline Great Santini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I really expect pressure, pressure, pressure and trap, trap, trap by a four or five guard rotation. I think this will be an uptempo team like we haven't seen since Talor and Stanley Pringle were running the backcourt.

Offline bdroc

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:43 PM »
I really expect pressure, pressure, pressure and trap, trap, trap by a four or five guard rotation. I think this will be an uptempo team like we haven't seen since Talor and Stanley Pringle were running the backcourt.

I agree.  And it will work some nights, especially if younger players like Woodward & Thorpe can hit 3s.  But over the course of a B1G schedule?  Not so much.  We'll be lucky to go 7-11 in conference this year.

Offline fairfaxlion

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04 PM »

I agree.  And it will work some nights, especially if younger players like Woodward & Thorpe can hit 3s.  But over the course of a B1G schedule?  Not so much.  We'll be lucky to go 7-11 in conference this year.

Taylor also has a lot of potential to hit perimeter shots, and already has a year under his belt.  I think this season could work out well.

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mgreen17025
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 10:17 PM »

Can I take that record right now?  I wouldn't feel disappointed if we finished 7-11 in the B1G. 

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Can I take that record right now? I wouldn't feel disappointed if we finished 7-11 in the B1G.

True.

- That would be more BIG TEN wins than in Chamber's first 2 seasons combined (4-14, 2-16)

- It would be the 3rd most BIG TEN win by Penn State in the past 13 seasons

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 06:57 AM »
I sense a season prediction poll!

tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:52 AM »
7-11 should have them pushing .500, too.

Offline Speed

• Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I'm going all Pittsburgh Pirate season and Michigan OT win afterglow and say - 10-8 in the B1G.