Author Topic: Genius grant  (Read 1209 times)

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
Genius grant
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:06 AM »
I was not on the list -- again. But this woman on the MacArthur grant list must be affiliated with Penn State?:

_ Beth Shapiro, 33, University Park, Pa. Evolutionary biologist whose research focuses on tracing the population history of recently extinct or threatened species.

tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Re: Genius grant
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20 AM »
I was not on the list -- again. But this woman on the MacArthur grant list must be affiliated with Penn State?:

_ Beth Shapiro, 33, University Park, Pa. Evolutionary biologist whose research focuses on tracing the population history of recently extinct or threatened species.

She is

She was a Rhodes Scholar after graduating from Georgia.
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline Evan Ceg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Very engaging lecture by Beth Shapiro on Fora TV on "How to Make a Dodo."  It would be fun to have her for a class.

http://fora.tv/2008/08/19/Beth_Shapiro_How_to_Make_a_Dodo

Offline FREE_GENO

• Nittany Lion
  • Formerly C21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 05:21 PM »
sort've off topic... anybody see Charlie Kauffman's "Synecdoche, New York" ?  It's about Philip Seymour Hoffman's character getting the Macarthur Genius Grant and from there I don't really know what...  ???  Well, I have my own interpretations, but wow - it's quite the thinker. 

Anybody delve into that one yet?  I enjoyed it - but it was a real struggle to put together.
They’re probably better than Stony Brook.