Author Topic: Did we get hacked again??  (Read 1711 times)

Offline byake

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did we get hacked again??
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I got a weird email that says it's from Tim with a link attached that clearly isn't legit.  Did anyone get this?

Tim, the email address is [Your first name] [Your last name]@gmail.com is that one of your accounts?  If so you should look into it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:23 PM by tjb »

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
Re: Did we get hacked again??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:22 PM »
I got a weird email that says it's from Tim with a link attached that clearly isn't legit.  Did anyone get this?

Tim, the email address is [Your first name] [Your last name]@gmail.com is that one of your accounts?  If so you should look into it.

Someone alerted me to this possibility recently. Unfortunately, our admin staff has misplaced the note, so I am not sure if it was you, byake. However, if it was not (is 'was' the appropriate past tense subjunctive mood usage?), this is two reports of possible shenanigans.

edit: plus, my email is [My first name].[My last name]@gmail.com.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:24 PM by tjb »
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 03:20 PM »

More often than not, when you get a spam email from someone you know, it's not their account that was hacked, it's someone else's.   The spammers are sending people on the contact list spam that uses another contact list name as the spoofed email address.  Doing it that way accomplishes a couple of things.  One, there's a good chance that the two parties know each other so the recipient is more likely to open the email.  Two, the party who's contact list was compromised isn't alerted to the problem. 
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37 PM »

More often than not, when you get a spam email from someone you know, it's not their account that was hacked, it's someone else's.   The spammers are sending people on the contact list spam that uses another contact list name as the spoofed email address.  Doing it that way accomplishes a couple of things.  One, there's a good chance that the two parties know each other so the recipient is more likely to open the email.  Two, the party who's contact list was compromised isn't alerted to the problem. 

And sometimes it's your own account - your own contact list is harvested for spam replies-to.
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:41 PM »
One week after getting my first iPhone (this past fall), I must have gotten hacked or something. 

The guy at the AT&T store set my iPhone up to link with my yahoo e-mail account as the default email.  One week later, everyone got a message from my yahoo account.  Because my work e-mail was in there, I got one from myself at work.  Message just said something like "Hey freind, you should really check this out    (with a link)", and it was from my yahoo account.

The weird thing was, when I checked my yahoo account from my laptop, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  But, when I looked at my yahoo e-mail from my iPhone, I would see a lot of "undelieverable" messages that went to my contacts that were no longer valid.  Those "undeliverable" messages were ONLY on the phone.  When I would log on the laptop to double-check my account, you guessed it, they were not there.

I know what a lot of people may say.  It is a web-based e-mal system.   It shouldn't matter what laptop or internet devise I use, it should all be the same, from the same internet host/server at yahoo.  Yet.....   there it was.

Offline byake

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I doubt it's my account since I have a solid firewall and antivirus.  I'll run a system check anyway.

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:17 PM »
One week after getting my first iPhone (this past fall), I must have gotten hacked or something. 

The guy at the AT&T store set my iPhone up to link with my yahoo e-mail account as the default email.  One week later, everyone got a message from my yahoo account.  Because my work e-mail was in there, I got one from myself at work.  Message just said something like "Hey freind, you should really check this out    (with a link)", and it was from my yahoo account.

The weird thing was, when I checked my yahoo account from my laptop, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  But, when I looked at my yahoo e-mail from my iPhone, I would see a lot of "undelieverable" messages that went to my contacts that were no longer valid.  Those "undeliverable" messages were ONLY on the phone.  When I would log on the laptop to double-check my account, you guessed it, they were not there.

I know what a lot of people may say.  It is a web-based e-mal system.   It shouldn't matter what laptop or internet devise I use, it should all be the same, from the same internet host/server at yahoo.  Yet.....   there it was.

What it sounds like is a virus on your computer.  The virus hides the undelivered messages when you check your yahoo email from your computer.   When you check from your phone, since it isn't infected, it doesn't hide the undelivered messages.
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20 PM »
There's a way to look at the email and see if it came from Google server, instructions buried in here.
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44 PM »
What it sounds like is a virus on your computer.  The virus hides the undelivered messages when you check your yahoo email from your computer.   When you check from your phone, since it isn't infected, it doesn't hide the undelivered messages.

Thanks Lar

There's a way to look at the email and see if it came from Google server, instructions buried in here.

Fantastic article, tbj.  My Geek Quotient (the nerd's definition of 'GQ') is increasing by the day !!!

Offline byake

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial.  The email did not originate from my IP address nor could I trace the origin of the senders IP with DNS tools.

Offline Great Santini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I got a similar e-mail from Tim yesterday. I didn't open it - just deleted it.

Offline noobd

• Nittany Lion
  • March Dreamin'
    • View Profile
    • South Orange Juice
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 12:09 AM »
Someone alerted me to this possibility recently.

This guy. I made a thread a few months back (maybe more?) when the same stuff happened.
Twitter
"I just copped me a pair of the coldest dancing shoes ever... They are called the 'Penn States' " - Talor Battle

Offline noobd

• Nittany Lion
  • March Dreamin'
    • View Profile
    • South Orange Juice
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Have received at least half a dozen of these emails over the past week+...  :o
Twitter
"I just copped me a pair of the coldest dancing shoes ever... They are called the 'Penn States' " - Talor Battle

Online Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 07:43 AM »
I haven't gotten anything.