Author Topic: PC in Boiling Springs Tonight  (Read 4230 times)

Offline BubblingLion

• Freshman
    • View Profile
PC in Boiling Springs Tonight
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:27 PM »
PennStateHoops.com was well represented tonight at the Carlisle PSU Booster Club dinner that featured Patrick Chambers.  I'm sure other will add info but PC is hoping to add 1 to 3 players yet this spring.  Signing 1 player would be a hit.  Signing 2 players would be a home run and signing 3 players would be a grand slam.  He reiterated that he won't take players just to fill scholarships.  Of course, NCAA rules prevented him from mentioning names but he mentioned he hoped to sign players 6'8" or better.

He mentioned (with a smile on his face) that Tim & DJ were going after each other it in spring drills.  Really making each other better.  Stands by his claim that we'll have the best backcourt in the country next year.

Still can't pronounce Akosa's last name but says he's a great outside shooter.

Also said Jermaine & Ross are each improving their game.  Hoping for similar dramatic improvement for them as to how Tim improved this year.  Bigs are also improving.

If someone could PM directions on how to put a picture in a post, I'd appreciate it.

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Re: PC in Boiling Springs Tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:33 PM »
haha we must have been posting at the same time.. ;D

- Last years team. Very proud of how hard they worked. Thought they should have had 6 wins instead of 4. Got calls from Bo and Tom telling them how hard we played and they didn't want to face them down the road. "Some" refs he felt had a preconceived notion about PSU basketball. He mentioned the NW game as 1 where they were seen as the "darling" and it felt the game was being called that way. Said he got a few of those T's mid year because he sees how hard these kids work day in and day out and the refs don't and he didn't want them being slighted like that. He did mention  a few of the refs crossed paths with him in the hallway after a few games and commented how hard and tough PSU played and they haven't seen that from PSU in quite some Time.

- Next year's team he said the name to remember is DJ Newbill. Said the fans will absolutely love him. He stood behind his comments about him and Tim being the best backcourt in the country. Said those 2 go at each other so so hard every day making each other better. He thinks Jermaine and Ross are about to become breakout players as well. Said Jermaine's confidence is at an all time high right now.

- Recruiting (this is where it gets interesting ) He talked about Brandon and Akosa. Said Brandon we will love. Said classic pick and pop big guy that can play inside and out. Said Akosa will be a player but refused to try and pronounce his last name when asked. Now anyone from the pennstatehoops.com table can correct me but he was asked about this current class and made it known he could talk about the above 2 by name but said he couldn't talk about the verbal we just got   Again maybe thats not where he was going with it but all 8 at our table took it that way. After mentioning the verbal he spoke about Jones (not by name) being on campus today and having lunch with him and the whole 9. Also mentioned we are involved with 2 JUCO's (obviously Harris being one). Was asked how many new guys he sees to fill out the class "1 Great, 2 Homerun, 3 Grand Slam". He was asked about "tall guys" and said they are currently involved with a handful of guys 6'8 and over (didn't say for what year ). You could tell there was so much he wanted to say but just couldn't. Dropped as many hints as he could without getting in trouble.

- Fans. Now this was the one downer of the night. He talked about how hard it was to play at Indiana, OSU, and Purdue. When asked what b10 teams thought about playing at PSU he said not tough. Without coming right out and saying it , he basically said our crowds are horrible. Said they started the year OK and just completely fell off. You can tell he isn't very happy with the fan support his kids got this past season

- Talked about Andrew Jones, Jeff, and Talor. Said AJ hurt his knee and is back in PSU rehabbing it. Said all 3 will back at PSU this summer working out and playing with the team. Said he wants to make it a point for all ex players to come back and continue to be a big part of the program.

- Asked about Bo Ryan. Said (which i never got a chance to read) that Bo retracted his stance on the transfer situation. Said he personally would let his kids go wherever they want. Said for whatever reason it didn't work out but these kids are young and got 1 shot at this thing and he wouldn't want to be the guy to screw it up for them. Said there is language written into the LOI that states they cannot transfer within the b10.

- Scheduling . Said we are playing in Puerto Rico next season with some of the big boys. Mentioned GTown, NC State, and Xavier.

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38 PM »
By the way Bubbling did you have any of those sticky buns? Damn I felt like taking that kart and wheeling it out to my car and heading home with it  ;D

Offline eric17

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:52 PM »
- Recruiting (this is where it gets interesting ) He talked about Brandon and Akosa. Said Brandon we will love. Said classic pick and pop big guy that can play inside and out. Said Akosa will be a player but refused to try and pronounce his last name when asked. Now anyone from the pennstatehoops.com table can correct me but he was asked about this current class and made it known he could talk about the above 2 by name but said he couldn't talk about the verbal we just got   Again maybe thats not where he was going with it but all 8 at our table took it that way. After mentioning the verbal he spoke about Jones (not by name) being on campus today and having lunch with him and the whole 9. Also mentioned we are involved with 2 JUCO's (obviously Harris being one). Was asked how many new guys he sees to fill out the class "1 Great, 2 Homerun, 3 Grand Slam". He was asked about "tall guys" and said they are currently involved with a handful of guys 6'8 and over (didn't say for what year ). You could tell there was so much he wanted to say but just couldn't. Dropped as many hints as he could without getting in trouble.

- Scheduling . Said we are playing in Puerto Rico next season with some of the big boys. Mentioned GTown, NC State, and Xavier.

He genuinely loves recruiting, which is why I have no doubt he is the man to turn this place around. I think Jones pulling the trigger is just a matter of time, if he hasn't already. That's probably who he was hinting at.

Georgetown is playing in the Legends Classic and Xavier backed out and is playing in the Anaheim Classic (I think). The only teams I've seen confirmed for PR are NC State, Tennessee, Akron, and UMass. All of those teams are on the rise, especially NC State.

Thanks for the recap, guys.

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56 PM »

He genuinely loves recruiting, which is why I have no doubt he is the man to turn this place around. I think Jones pulling the trigger is just a matter of time, if he hasn't already. That's probably who he was hinting at.

Georgetown is playing in the Legends Classic and Xavier backed out and is playing in the Anaheim Classic (I think). The only teams I've seen confirmed for PR are NC State, Tennessee, Akron, and UMass. All of those teams are on the rise, especially NC State.

Thanks for the recap, guys.
Yeah I thought Jones at first as well but then he went on to talk about Jones after that (again not by name) . I thought Jeter right away but who knows. 

He did mention Akron and UMass but his assistant gave him GTown, NC St, and Xavier.

Offline ncy1989

• Freshman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Good stuff guys, appreciate the reports!

I think the biggest thing I took from DJ's report is DJ Newbill himself!! I can't think why Chambers would be hyping him up some much if he really wasn't that much of a player. If he really is legit, the backcourt is gonna be a LOAD next year!

Also regarding the fan support, that is very disheartening. I realize we did not have a very good record last year, but the fanbase as a whole really needs to step it up next year.

Thanks again!

psuarva

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:10 PM »
- Fans. Now this was the one downer of the night. He talked about how hard it was to play at Indiana, OSU, and Purdue. When asked what b10 teams thought about playing at PSU he said not tough. Without coming right out and saying it , he basically said our crowds are horrible. Said they started the year OK and just completely fell off. You can tell he isn't very happy with the fan support his kids got this past season

Fans really do need to step it up.  It needs to become more of a social event for students.  Need more local people to go.  I think it will take a very good season to get the students engaged, but then they will be hooked.

Offline SAS

• Senior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I am not a season ticket holder.  I am not a student.  I am not a PSU grad.  I bleed blue and white due to my family connection in State College, and if I rooted for anyone else when I was younger, I would have lived on the street.  That said, I hate driving from chocolatetown, going to PSU basketball games, buying tickets for me and the kids, and end up sitting in the clouds while 80% of the seats below me are empty.

Fix this and I will attend more games.

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:16 PM »

Fans really do need to step it up.  It needs to become more of a social event for students.  Need more local people to go.  I think it will take a very good season to get the students engaged, but then they will be hooked.
Its all about the students. They need to come out and come out in full force. They were just absolutely horrible last year.

Online mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mgreen17025
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11 PM »
The things that stood out to me:

1.  Newbill. He talked him up big time.  He mentioned Ross and Jermaine both have a chance to take that next step in improving their games.  But seems to really love Newbill.  That's exciting.

2.  Akosa.  Said he's that long range bomber we need.  And he can't pronounce his last name either.

3.  Recruiting.  The things he said and the way he said them made me get excited about the possibilities with the '13 class. 

4.  Attendance.  Was disappointed in the support.  Although he mentioned that twitter, etc. were all blowing up about PSU.  Just hopes it translates to better attendance.  Also said to email him if you want tickets. 

5.  Taylor.  Seems like we got a good one.  Mentioned he averaged a double/double in a recent AAU tournament.

6.  $100.  Pat Chambers drew the winning ticket for the 50/50 drawing.  And the winning ticket belonged to mjg.

7.  Schedule.  Mentioned playing in Puerto Rico and several teams that will also be there.  I think all are already mentioned in other posts here.  He also said we're playing LaSalle in the Palestra, Duquesne at home and one other game that is slipping my mind at the moment.  EDIT:  Just remembered PC said we're playing Bucknell.

It was great meeting BubblingLion, Blue2Blue and a lurker (sign up already).  I hope to meet more of you soon.  Maybe we should have an event sometime.  Happy hour, golf outing, whatever. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:36 PM by mjg »

Online mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30 PM »

Online UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03 AM »
- Recruiting (this is where it gets interesting ) He talked about Brandon and Akosa. Said Brandon we will love. Said classic pick and pop big guy that can play inside and out. Said Akosa will be a player but refused to try and pronounce his last name when asked. Now anyone from the pennstatehoops.com table can correct me but he was asked about this current class and made it known he could talk about the above 2 by name but said he couldn't talk about the verbal we just got   Again maybe thats not where he was going with it but all 8 at our table took it that way.

Yeah I thought Jones at first as well but then he went on to talk about Jones after that (again not by name) . I thought Jeter right away but who knows. 

Duh.  Guys it's Washington.   ???
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Online mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:16 AM »
- Recruiting (this is where it gets interesting ) He talked about Brandon and Akosa. Said Brandon we will love. Said classic pick and pop big guy that can play inside and out. Said Akosa will be a player but refused to try and pronounce his last name when asked. Now anyone from the pennstatehoops.com table can correct me but he was asked about this current class and made it known he could talk about the above 2 by name but said he couldn't talk about the verbal we just got   Again maybe thats not where he was going with it but all 8 at our table took it that way.

Unless we all misunderstood him, he was talking about a 2012 commit.

Offline BubblingLion

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 05:40 AM »
By the way Bubbling did you have any of those sticky buns? Damn I felt like taking that kart and wheeling it out to my car and heading home with it  ;D

The sticky buns are great.  Especially when you add a scoop of ice cream.   ;D

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:01 AM »

The sticky buns are great.  Especially when you add a scoop of ice cream.   ;D
You got it. Def topped it off with the ice cream  ;D

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 06:03 AM »

He was talking about the 2012 recruiting class . Again maybe we all misinterpreted what he was saying , but I know our table plus its sounds like the psuhoops table  heard the same thing. Guess we'll just have to wait and see  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:06 AM by DJSWay2 »

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 07:37 AM »
THANKS  everybody for the updates!!!!!!!!!!!   :)   

Offline rwd5035

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Hope he comes to Allentown!
Quote from: Andre Villas-Boas
This is not a quest of an individual, this is a quest of a team and what we want to achieve at the end of the season

Offline MarkH

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 07:56 AM »
EDIT:  Just remembered PC said we're playing Bucknell.

It was great meeting BubblingLion, Blue2Blue and a lurker (sign up already).  I hope to meet more of you soon.  Maybe we should have an event sometime.  Happy hour, golf outing, whatever.

Great news that the Bison are back on the schedule, where they belong.  Thanks for remembering that little tidbit.

A Harrisburg chapter PennStateHoops.com event would be awesome.  I've been able to meet a few of us in person, but a social would be a blast.

Offline blue2blue

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 08:40 AM »
It was quite an enjoyable evening, even if I had to waddle out to the car after stuffing myself full of delicious sticky bun.

I don't have much to add from what everyone else was saying, but when he mentioned the verbal(s) that he couldn't talk about, I really thought he was talking about the 2013 guys, Thorpe and Austin.  You could really tell he was excited about recruiting though, and was just busting at the seams to tell us all the details, but he did a good job of staying within the rules.

Also, when he was talking about adding recruits for 2012 (1=hit, 2=homerun, 3=grand slam), I think he was talking about 3 specific people, without being able to name them.  So, if he landed those 3 specific people it would be a grand slam - not that just adding any 3 recruits at this point would be a grand slam.  He said they are still looking at a LOT of kids for 2012, so I think they would offer some others, if they didn't get those 3.  But, as was mentioned previously, he definitely wasn't just trying to fill all the schollies.

Offline Finding Forrester

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 08:41 AM »
7.  Schedule.  Mentioned playing in Puerto Rico and several teams that will also be there.  I think all are already mentioned in other posts here.  He also said we're playing LaSalle in the Palestra, Duquesne at home and one other game that is slipping my mind at the moment.  EDIT:  Just remembered PC said we're playing Bucknell.

I love all three of those games.  I always think we should play a Pittsburgh and Philly team each each and playing Bucknell is good.  Let's own PA!

Offline rwd5035

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 08:50 AM »
The Palestra?! That's awesome!
Quote from: Andre Villas-Boas
This is not a quest of an individual, this is a quest of a team and what we want to achieve at the end of the season

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 09:02 AM »
It was quite an enjoyable evening, even if I had to waddle out to the car after stuffing myself full of delicious sticky bun.

I don't have much to add from what everyone else was saying, but when he mentioned the verbal(s) that he couldn't talk about, I really thought he was talking about the 2013 guys, Thorpe and Austin.  You could really tell he was excited about recruiting though, and was just busting at the seams to tell us all the details, but he did a good job of staying within the rules.

Also, when he was talking about adding recruits for 2012 (1=hit, 2=homerun, 3=grand slam), I think he was talking about 3 specific people, without being able to name them.  So, if he landed those 3 specific people it would be a grand slam - not that just adding any 3 recruits at this point would be a grand slam.  He said they are still looking at a LOT of kids for 2012, so I think they would offer some others, if they didn't get those 3. But, as was mentioned previously, he definitely wasn't just trying to fill all the schollies.
Yeah he def made it point that this staff will look for no quick fixes/bandaids. I'm pretty sure those were the words he used when saying they basically will not just hand out scholarships .

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14 AM »

I love all three of those games.  I always think we should play a Pittsburgh and Philly team each each and playing Bucknell is good.  Let's own PA!

One of my favorite moments of the past 10 years was when Mikey Walker hit the game winner and jumped up on the scorer's table to celebrate

Online timauman

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 09:16 AM »

Is it too early to get the scheduling thread started?

LaSalle at teh Palestra.......will be like old times......Rec Hall's big brother and a Dunn in the house!

Always been in teh pro-Bucknell scheduling camp, especially during the semester break.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:17 AM by timauman »
formerly manatree