Author Topic: Sheldon Jeter Update  (Read 165872 times)

Offline eric17

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sheldon Jeter Update
« Reply #675 on: April 11, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Sheldon checks in at 150 in the new Rivals rankings.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2509

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51 AM »
I hope he chooses Penn State as much as the next guy (so long as the next guy is a PennStateHoops.commer), but I hardly think his father wanting to influence his decision is in any way sinister or undesirable.

Just as long as "influence" doesn't wander into the realm of "forcing one's hand"

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 11, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Are we still after Glass? See he comes in at 123

Offline rwd5035

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #678 on: April 11, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Is it confirmed that his dad is in favor of South Carolina, or is it that he's in favor of Pitt? If it was Pitt, I'd at least understand, even though Sheldon doesn't want to go there.
Quote from: Andre Villas-Boas
This is not a quest of an individual, this is a quest of a team and what we want to achieve at the end of the season

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #679 on: April 11, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Is it confirmed that his dad is in favor of South Carolina, or is it that he's in favor of Pitt? If it was Pitt, I'd at least understand, even though Sheldon doesn't want to go there.

I don't think anything's been confirmed.....just speculated.
"we self police through peer pressure, mostly, and maybe general lack of interest" tjb

Offline psuw76

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 11, 2012, 01:48 PM »
During the playoffs, I was told by someone I consider a credible source that Dad wanted Pitt, but son did not. Since Pitt is now out of the running, I suppose that means son won that round.

Offline zac1397

• Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 11, 2012, 02:00 PM »

Both of our other 2012 guys are now 3 star.

Offline Tigers1994

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 11, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Dont count out Vanderbilt, I've heard he may take a visit to check out the law school

Offline psuw76

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 11, 2012, 05:08 PM »
I know they are in dire need of players to fill out their roster, but you have to be a truly top student to get into Vanderbilt. Here is a profile of their students:

Quote (selected)
In 2010, less than 20% of Vanderbilt University applicants got accepted. To get in, applicants are going to need grades and standardized test scores that are well above average...As you can see, most successful Vanderbilt applicants had averages in the "A" range, SAT scores of about 1850 (1400-1500 on old SAT) or higher, and ACT composite scores of 26 or higher. A large number of applicants had 4.0 GPAs. Clearly the higher your grades and test scores, the better your chance of an acceptance letter.

...Many students with grades and test scores that were on target for Vanderbilt did not get in. Note also that a few students were accepted with test scores and grades below the norm. This is because Vanderbilt, like many of the country's most selective colleges, has holistic admissions. The folks in the admissions office are interested in much more than raw numbers. Rigorous high school courses, strong extracurricular involvement, glowing letters of recommendation, and a winning application essay are all important parts of the Vanderbilt's admissions equation.

I love Beaver Falls and I got a very good education there, but no way will that prepare Sheldon for the rigors of a school like Vanderbilt. (For comparison, Jack Anderson was an A student with good test scores and he needed a tutor at least for some period of his time at Carnegie Mellon.) Academically, he would be like Paul Jones has been at Penn State.

For the record, here is the same information about Penn State:

Quote (selected)
Penn State admissions are selective -- roughly half of students who apply get accepted. ... As you can see, the majority of accepted students have at least "B" averages, and they have combined SAT scores of about 1600 (1100-1300 old SAT) or higher, and ACT composite scores of 22 or higher. The higher the numbers, the more likely you are to get accepted. ..It's important to keep in mind that some students with high GPAs and test scores still get rejected by Penn State.

However, Penn State does have holistic admissions, so students who shine in other areas can get accepted even if their grades or test scores are a little less than ideal. Students who reveal some kind of remarkable talent or have a compelling story to tell will often get a close look even if grades and test scores are a slightly below the norm. The most successful applicants have a winning essay, strong letters of recommendation, and interesting extracurricular activities.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:22 PM by psuinbf »

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19 PM »
This season has quietly done away with an old criticism.

I remember recruits were once criticized for coming from smaller schools in PA.  It was said that the competition was not up to par, and that it was too big of a step to come from a small school up to a BCS level program.

For those who remember, it was a HUGE knock when we signed Mike Walker out of Class AA Trinity.

Now, some of the highest profile recruits in the entire state are coming from small schools.  Taylor is AA, Jeter is AA, Savon Goodman is single A.

When the All-State teams came out, someone even commented that they would take the AA team over any of the other classes.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28 PM »
This season has quietly done away with an old criticism.

I remember recruits were once criticized for coming from smaller schools in PA.  It was said that the competition was not up to par, and that it was too big of a step to come from a small school up to a BCS level program.

For those who remember, it was a HUGE knock when we signed Mike Walker out of Class AA Trinity.

Now, some of the highest profile recruits in the entire state are coming from small schools.  Taylor is AA, Jeter is AA, Savon Goodman is single A.

When the All-State teams came out, someone even commented that they would take the AA team over any of the other classes.

Agree with your point Skee. In the WPIAL AA has most years been the strongest basketball talent for a good while.
Plus the charter schools have totally changed the landscape classification.

ChambersEra

« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I know they are in dire need of players to fill out their roster, but you have to be a truly top student to get into Vanderbilt. Here is a profile of their students:

Quote (selected)
In 2010, less than 20% of Vanderbilt University applicants got accepted. To get in, applicants are going to need grades and standardized test scores that are well above average...As you can see, most successful Vanderbilt applicants had averages in the "A" range, SAT scores of about 1850 (1400-1500 on old SAT) or higher, and ACT composite scores of 26 or higher. A large number of applicants had 4.0 GPAs. Clearly the higher your grades and test scores, the better your chance of an acceptance letter.

...Many students with grades and test scores that were on target for Vanderbilt did not get in. Note also that a few students were accepted with test scores and grades below the norm. This is because Vanderbilt, like many of the country's most selective colleges, has holistic admissions. The folks in the admissions office are interested in much more than raw numbers. Rigorous high school courses, strong extracurricular involvement, glowing letters of recommendation, and a winning application essay are all important parts of the Vanderbilt's admissions equation.

I love Beaver Falls and I got a very good education there, but no way will that prepare Sheldon for the rigors of a school like Vanderbilt. For comparison, Jack Anderson was an A student with good test scores and he needed a tutor at least for some period of his time at Carnegie Mellon. Academically, he would be like Paul Jones has been at Penn State

If Allen Iverson could stay eligible at Georgetown for 2 years I think Sheldon will be fine at Vandy.

These brainy school's need athletes that can win games to fill seats.  The eductation that many athletes get isn't the same as what the general student body is getting.  Many athletes at every school around the country are getting a very watered down education that keeps them eligible.

There was a piece several years ago about all the basketball players at Duke that were in the Liberal Arts school.  If you looked at the Villanova roster, it was also loaded w/ Liberal Arts majors.  What do you do in Liberal Arts?  BS a bunch of a papers?

You'll find a lot of athletes in majors where they are mostly graded subjectively.  They aren't taking 300 level accounting classes where you either know the answer or you don't.  Atheltes have first pick w/ regard to classes as well, so they load up on the joke electives.  You'll find electives at Penn State that are LOADED w/ football players.  They are GPA boosters.

Offline NGameday

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Sheldon Jeter is turning in to the Ryan Switzer of basketball. Kid tells Bill O'Brien you can count me in, coach and Dad slow down the process and suddenly he's a UNC commit.

Offline lynkpsu

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Both of our other 2012 guys are now 3 star.

That's awesome.  I really hope Jeter picks us, can't believe his dad is meddling.  Sheldon should go to school where ever he wants with his parents' blessing.

Offline rwd5035

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30 PM »

Pretty sure that was me:

Brandon Austin, Imhotep Charter, 6-6, jr, 11.4 ppg

Amile Jefferson, Friends Central, 6-8, sr, 19.9 ppg

Sheldon Jeter, Beaver Falls, 6-8, sr, 22.5 ppg

Rysheed Jordan, Roberts Vaux, 6-4, jr, 17.3 ppg

Josh Kosin, Holy Cross, 6-7, jr, 17.9 ppg

Daniel Ochefu, Westtown, 6-10, sr, 14.0 ppg

You have the defense of Ochefu. Low post scoring presence of Jefferson. Jeter as the wing scorer, Jordan as the PG, Brandon Austin as a slasher ball handler. That's a devastating lineup.
This is not a quest of an individual, this is a quest of a team and what we want to achieve at the end of the season

Offline Tigers1994

• Freshman
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27 PM »

Quote (selected)

I love Beaver Falls and I got a very good education there, but no way will that prepare Sheldon for the rigors of a school like Vanderbilt. (For comparison, Jack Anderson was an A student with good test scores and he needed a tutor at least for some period of his time at Carnegie Mellon.) Academically, he would be like Paul Jones has been at Penn State.

For the record, here is the same information about Penn State:

Quote (selected)
Penn State admissions are selective -- roughly half of students who apply get accepted. ... As you can see, the majority of accepted students have at least "B" averages, and they have combined SAT scores of about 1600 (1100-1300 old SAT) or higher, and ACT composite scores of 22 or higher. The higher the numbers, the more likely you are to get accepted. ..It's important to keep in mind that some students with high GPAs and test scores still get rejected by Penn State.

However, Penn State does have holistic admissions, so students who shine in other areas can get accepted even if their grades or test scores are a little less than ideal. Students who reveal some kind of remarkable talent or have a compelling story to tell will often get a close look even if grades and test scores are a slightly below the norm. The most successful applicants have a winning essay, strong letters of recommendation, and interesting extracurricular activities.

I think he'll be fine if he went to Vandy, they graduate most(~90%) of their hoops players and with the success they have had lately I'd guess they must have some serious tudoring if it's really as hard as you say.

I agree with the poster that made the Iverson remark, I dont see going to BF as something that would hurt him at Vandy either, a dude I went to school with(year younger) went to Harvard on a football/academic scholly(its not called an athletic scholly but that's what it is), did great and runs a mutual fund now. Sheldon isnt dumb, if Vanderbilt, Stanford, any Ivy school comes knocking I think he'd(anybody) be doing himself a disservice not at least going and taking a look-see at the digs. I doubt they would even contact him if they didnt think he could swing it, I'd think the folks at Vandy would know better than anyone.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:34 PM by Tigers1994 »

Offline psuw76

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2012, 12:01 AM »
I never said he was dumb. When I've heard him speak, he's thoughtful and articulate. I am impressed he uses as much good grammer and punctuation as 140 characters allow on twitter. All I am saying is that he won't be prepared for what he will face academically at a top school like Vanderbilt. I agree, though, if a top notch education is his primary goal, Vanderbilt fits that bill.

Jeter has been consistent naming Penn State and Wisconsin when asked about his preferences from the beginning. The other contenders have come and gone and I do not believe Vanderbilt has even offered. The fact is Jeter made an official visit to Wisconsin that included visiting Ryan at his house for several hours and Ryan called right before the last dead period. None of that persuaded him to commit. I doubt a home visit is going to change anything.

I will not dispute psubball's information. I do know for a fact Penn State stopped recruiting Jeter when DeChellis left and that the family contacted them to ask that they take another look after Chambers came on board which eventually lead to the scholarship offer.

My own personal sense is he is not going to end up taking any more official visits and Dad will acquiesce to his son's wishes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:07 AM by psuinbf »

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 12, 2012, 05:43 AM »
I heard Sheldon Jeter isn't going to commit until this thread hits 50 pages.

Offline rwd5035

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #693 on: April 12, 2012, 06:23 AM »
I heard Sheldon Jeter isn't going to commit until this thread hits 50 pages.

Well I want this process drawn out, and go as long as possible, so I want to make a pledge to everyone, let's just slowly bide our time in this thread.  :)

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #694 on: April 12, 2012, 07:10 AM »
A few years ago, when Congress was collecting SAT scores for incoming athletes and publishing the averages, the average athlete SAT was about 200 points below the 25th percentile of the freshman class as a whole. In football, Stanford and Northwestern were the top performers, with SAT scores of barely more than 1,000 (on the old 1,600 point scale). If Vanderbilt wants him, he'll be admitted. And I am sure he can succeed there.
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline psuw76

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 12, 2012, 07:43 AM »
That is interesting although it doesn't say much for college-bound athletes.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56 AM »
A few years ago, when Congress was collecting SAT scores for incoming athletes and publishing the averages, the average athlete SAT was about 200 points below the 25th percentile of the freshman class as a whole. In football, Stanford and Northwestern were the top performers, with SAT scores of barely more than 1,000 (on the old 1,600 point scale). If Vanderbilt wants him, he'll be admitted. And I am sure he can succeed there.

Thanks, tjb.

It's the reason I always hoped for pro minor leagues for football and basketball.   

Offline NittanyIllini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 12, 2012, 08:01 AM »

It's the reason I always hoped for pro minor leagues for football and basketball.

And that's what we have in the form of college football and college basketball.

Offline rwd5035

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #698 on: April 12, 2012, 08:03 AM »

Thanks, tjb.

It seems to be a good idea on paper, or a good thought, but the truth is the money just simply wouldn't be there. If you took Anthony Davis and put him on the Lexington Thundercats (HOOOOOOO), there probably wouldn't be much draw because you took Kentucky off of his chest.

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 12, 2012, 08:04 AM »