Author Topic: OT - Music Thread  (Read 27877 times)

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Music Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02 PM »
PS - I never would've guessed you were a rock and roll guy.  What a nice surprise.

???  Saw ZZTop as a "warm up" band in '71, also saw Deep Purple, Sabbath, Humble Pie (twice), Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull in the early 70's.   ;D

Touche!  I wasn't even born when those guys came out!    ;D  Some of the 1st guitar riffs I ever learned were from those old groups.  Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, Smart Dressed Man......   ;)
"we self police through peer pressure, mostly, and maybe general lack of interest" tjb

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2011, 05:03 PM »
LP, ever hear of this band? I saw them once as a warm up band for Lynyrd Skynyrd in Hershey and I thought they were pretty good. I even went out and bought one of their albums. 

Holy Random!  I was just looking for this band YESTERDAY!  I remember there was a song in the 90's I really liked that came off some weird compilation or soundtrack.  I could only remember "Cane" but kept thinking Citzen Kane (i know).  Anyway, I really like Brother Cane a lot!  I liked that during the grunge scene when most bands were only playing power chords, these guys really knew what they were doing, musically.

Anyway, thanks!  I found "hard act to follow" and I'm pretty sure this song was their biggest hit. 

"That don't satisfy me" was a pretty good song they did too! 

Below is a link for the album that I bought years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Cane/dp/B000000WJE
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:09 PM by CAPPY »
PSU hoops fan since 2/28/66!

Online eric17

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2011, 05:25 PM »
My buddy had a free front row ticket to Grace Potter my sophomore year at the State Theatre. I went and found out that her band had a side project, who opened the night. They freakin' rocked and totally made the night.

Blues and Lasers Live On Late Night Saturday With Tim Kavanagh

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Saw ZZTop as a "warm up" band in '71, also saw Deep Purple, Sabbath, Humble Pie (twice), Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull in the early 70's.   ;D

Boy, what a gray beard! ;p

I saw Woody Allen as a warm-up comedian to Peter, Paul, and Mary.

That's a graybeard for you.

I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline bstanf

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I saw Woody Allen as a warm-up comedian to Peter, Paul, and Mary.

That's a graybeard for you.

I saw Peter, Paul, and Mary on the Lincoln Memorial Steps. I think that's the first time I felt old. And I was 22 or 23. :)
--
"That's the one & only downside of hoopin. You can't swing AND stay in the game. Gotta choose wisely." - Andrew Jones

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05 PM »
My buddy had a free front row ticket to Grace Potter my sophomore year at the State Theatre. I went and found out that her band had a side project, who opened the night.

I was at that show.  I've been a huge GP fan for a long time. 
"we self police through peer pressure, mostly, and maybe general lack of interest" tjb

ronb89

« Reply #181 on: December 1, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Child of the '80's post-punk, early DIY groups like Husker Du, Replacements, Black Flag, Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets and others.  Early '90's still was good with groups like Nirvana, Primus, Lemonheads (what ever happened to Evan Dando?), Soundgarden, up until the "number bands" started to dominate in the mid-90's (Matchbox 20, 3 doors down, Blink 182.... ). 

One of the best concerts I ever saw was Fugazi in Tucson.  Just straight ahead music, no gimmicks, good mosh pit, but not out of control... could have fun without feeling like you were risking life and limb.

Fugazi "Merchandise"

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 2, 2011, 02:41 PM »
With the holiday season upon us I was just curious to see what anybody here thinks of this band?   :)
It seems to me that people either love them or hate them. 

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Canon Rock

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 2, 2011, 02:57 PM »
That song was not my cup of tea!  But, I would like to sample other selections before I made a final judgement on the group.

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 2, 2011, 03:25 PM »
With the holiday season upon us I was just curious to see what anybody here thinks of this band?   :)
It seems to me that people either love them or hate them. 

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Canon Rock

Like the vidcap photo - I've always loved Russian women.  ;)
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 2, 2011, 03:34 PM »
TSO is also know for this song and video's like this:

Frisco Christmas Lights - Wizards in Winter

Offline timauman

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 2, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I put Trans-Siberian in with same category as Manheim Steamroller. Talented Musical Acts that I Can't Stand. Don't know why, but nothing kicks my Christmas spirit in the groin quicker than TSO or Manheim. I can't explain why, but they're not even my cup of tea. To me they're the musical equivalent of lima beans. I must confess that I was secretly happy when my Mom & Pop couldn't find their Steamroller & TSO Christmas CDs last year. Another example, Mariah Carey. She's a talented vocalist, but I can't stand the stuff she puts out. Dave Matthews Band is another one.

Penn State still has a pretty decent student radio station, 90.7 the Lion. I'm a big fan of their Jazz Spectrum & On the Good Foot shows. The Nooner is often quite good as well.
formerly manatree

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #187 on: December 9, 2011, 08:56 AM »
One of my closest friends, Laurelyn Dossett (PSU '83), has created a Christmas CD, The Gathering, that is getting good notice in places like the Chicago Sun-Times, American Songwriter and the WSJ..
« Last Edit: December 9, 2011, 09:14 AM by tjb »
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: December 9, 2011, 09:36 AM »
One of my closest friends, Laurelyn Dossett (PSU '83), has created a Christmas CD, The Gathering, that is getting good notice in places like the Chicago Sun-Times, American Songwriter and the WSJ..

Loved it.  Just bought it on iTunes.

Offline NICU

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 9, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Alabama Shakes - Hold On

Alabama Shakes - "Hold On" - Live from the Shoals 8-21-2011

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 9, 2011, 10:19 AM »
I enjoyed Alabama Shakes..............Thanks.

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: December 9, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Vetiver - Rolling Sea

"Rolling Sea," by Vetiver, live at SXSW 2009

Offline NICU

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 9, 2011, 10:51 AM »
^Sweet. Really like Vetiver. Did you like Errant Charm? I think Tight Knit is still my favorite of the albums, but Wonder Why was one of the catchiest tunes of the year.

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: December 9, 2011, 11:19 AM »
^Sweet. Really like Vetiver. Did you like Errant Charm? I think Tight Knit is still my favorite of the albums, but Wonder Why was one of the catchiest tunes of the year.

I'm actually not all that familiar with Vetiver.  I know some of their stuff (really like Wonder Why) but I haven't really tracked the majority of their stuff down.  The only reason I even knew them is because I was watching a documentary (180 South - it's about a free spirit that goes on a journey blah blah) and I heard Rolling Sea during one of the scenes and I instantly liked it so I Shazaam'd it.  It's funny but that's how I find the majority of the stuff I listen to.....an odd commercial or a background song in a bar and chase it from there.

Offline kidcoyote

• Deadwood
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: December 9, 2011, 11:27 AM »
PS - I never would've guessed you were a rock and roll guy.  What a nice surprise.

???  Saw ZZTop as a "warm up" band in '71, also saw Deep Purple, Sabbath, Humble Pie (twice), Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull in the early 70's.   ;D

Pretty familiar with Jethro Tull and Deep Purple. Tull way too profound for me, and that flute. Oy. Smoke on the Water one of all time greats. Fits my wife's idea of what makes a great song, a great bass. Remember the Police's "Every Step You Take"? Same thing, great bass. That song made that band and Sting. 1 year before that song became a hit, The Police played in Poughkeepsie, and less than 100 people attended. Amazing.

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

The Police - Every Breath You Take (With Lyrics)

Offline NICU

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 9, 2011, 11:28 AM »

I'm actually not all that familiar with Vetiver.  I know some of their stuff (really like Wonder Why) but I haven't really tracked the majority of their stuff down.  The only reason I even knew them is because I was watching a documentary (180 South - it's about a free spirit that goes on a journey blah blah) and I heard Rolling Sea during one of the scenes and I instantly liked it so I Shazaam'd it.  It's funny but that's how I find the majority of the stuff I listen to.....an odd commercial or a background song in a bar and chase it from there.

Haha - that's awesome. Rolling Sea is the opening track on Tight Knit. Everyday is probably the most popular song on that album (It seems that way to me, at least), and I am surprised I haven't heard it on a commercial or TV show.

Vetiver - Everyday (OFFICIAL VIDEO) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #196 on: December 9, 2011, 11:30 AM »

The song cycle that is the heart of the CD was commissioned by the North Carolina symphony and scored. Laurelyn and her bandmates performed it with the symphony over Thanksgiving weekend:

Song #2 - Lights in the Lowlands - Laurelyn Dossett's The Gathering:A Winter's Tale in Six Songs
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #197 on: December 9, 2011, 11:32 AM »

The song cycle that is the heart of the CD was commissioned by the North Carolina symphony and scored. Laurelyn and her bandmates performed it with the symphony over Thanksgiving weekend:

Song #2 - Lights in the Lowlands - Laurelyn Dossett's The Gathering:A Winter's Tale in Six Songs

This is my favorite of the six songs:

Song#6- Diamonds in the Pines - Finale of World Premiere of Dossett's "Gathering"

The version without the symphony is great, too, a quicker temp without a full orchestra trailing along... :)
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: December 9, 2011, 11:33 AM »
That video was amazing NICU.

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: December 9, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Thanks Tim, I've been trying to find some bluegrass/folk type of music I like.  I had an obsession with the Wood Brothers about a year ago so I'm glad to have found Laurelyn's stuff.