Author Topic: OT - Music Thread  (Read 27501 times)

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Music Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Shameless plug for a family member.

If anyone from the board happens to be in Chicago Friday night, one of UncleLar's real nephews will be performing with his band, the Satellites, at the Hard Rock Cafe.   The Hard Rock is having a Halloween Costume Concert with six Chicago bands doing in costume covers of some major artists (my nephew's band will be U2). 

I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline kidcoyote

• Deadwood
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2011, 01:09 AM »
Shameless plug for a family member.

If anyone from the board happens to be in Chicago Friday night, one of UncleLar's real nephews will be performing with his band, the Satellites, at the Hard Rock Cafe.   The Hard Rock is having a Halloween Costume Concert with six Chicago bands doing in costume covers of some major artists (my nephew's band will be U2). 

You shouldn't be ashamed. That's pretty cool. And U2, impressive. Boy, they have some great songs.

Offline timauman

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Saw G Love & Special Sauce at The State last night. Great show as always.
formerly manatree

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Saw G Love & Special Sauce at The State last night. Great show as always.

I love G Love! 

G. Love - "Milk and Sugar"

"we self police through peer pressure, mostly, and maybe general lack of interest" tjb

Offline NittanyIllini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2011, 11:36 AM »
G Love is strong...

Instead of "McLover" as a certain poster suggests for Matt Glover's nickname, how bout "G Lover".  Just don't know who will play the part of "Special Sauce" this season...or maybe we go "G Love and Special Ross" if both Glover and Travis shine for the Nits.

Offline timauman

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2011, 02:00 PM »
I love G Love! 

They started off with Milk & Sugar

Admittedly, I'm not a big rap/hip-hop fan. To me it's all is all beat & rhythm, no melody & harmony.. GLove doesn't forget about the melody, and while vocal maestro, he can pull some good harmonies. He's been going more blues & folks lately.

I blame disco for killing soul music. Disco was a boon for bassists, but soul and R&B has never been the same since. There are some killer neo-soul bands out there now, Diplomats of Solid Sound, The Budos Band, The Bamboos, Sugarman 3 and others can all tear it up.

That being said, for those who are into rap/hip-hop, check out one of the originators, The Last Poets. Saw them awhile back at Schwab Auditorium. Militant, yes, but the epitome of music with a message.
formerly manatree

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2011, 02:33 PM »
I blame disco for killing soul music. Disco was a boon for bassists, but soul and R&B has never been the same since.

I'm on a big R&B/Funk kick right now. 

Herbie Hancock - Chameleon

I dare to not bounce your head will this plays!
"we self police through peer pressure, mostly, and maybe general lack of interest" tjb

Offline MarkH

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Does anyone like music that isn't electric guitar based? (Kid, I did read your Harlem Gospel Choir reference.  I'm partial to the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir myself.)

While I like bands that are electric guitar based, after a while I get tired of the same sound palette and I want to hear music painted in different timbres.

Larry, I'm just catching up on this thread.   Ever listen to Bluegrass?   There's some really good talent out there right now.  Before they changed around the band line-up, Mrs H and I were quite into Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. Saw them live a few times, and they just went all-out.  So much fun!

Rhonda Vincent & The Rage - "Muleskinner Blues" & "Orange Blossom Special"

Offline LarryH

• Senior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2011, 12:35 PM »
I blame disco for killing soul music. Disco was a boon for bassists, but soul and R&B has never been the same since.

I'm on a big R&B/Funk kick right now. 

Herbie Hancock - Chameleon

I dare to not bounce your head will this plays!

Can't blame you for being on a kick for this music, it is good stuff.  And I don't think there was a better guitar player for this style than Wah Wah Watson.  His rhythm guitar work made this music groove.

This song brings back some memories for me.  In 1976 at the Pori International Jazz Fest (Finland) the Army Jazz Band I was in played a job at the Hotelli Otava.  We followed Herbie Hancock and Wah Wah Watson who had played there a few hours before us.  We attempted to play a big band arrangement of Chameleon to end our first set.  Our attempt was a disaster.

When we left the stage Herbie Hancock was standing in the wings and quipped, ”Nice job guys.  What was that song you just played?”  Can’t blame him for having fun at our expense, the song was hardly recognizable.  :-[

Offline LarryH

• Senior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Does anyone like music that isn't electric guitar based? (Kid, I did read your Harlem Gospel Choir reference.  I'm partial to the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir myself.)

While I like bands that are electric guitar based, after a while I get tired of the same sound palette and I want to hear music painted in different timbres.

Larry, I'm just catching up on this thread.   Ever listen to Bluegrass?   There's some really good talent out there right now.  Before they changed around the band line-up, Mrs H and I were quite into Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. Saw them live a few times, and they just went all-out.  So much fun!

Rhonda Vincent & The Rage - "Muleskinner Blues" & "Orange Blossom Special"

Mark,

Yea, bluegrass is great music.  Most of the “folk music” idioms appeal to me.  And Bluegrass is enjoying something of an upswing in popularity these days.  There was a bit on NPR the other day on just that topic that I enjoyed. 

I haven't been to a concert in a while, though.  These days I see more football halftime shows, and high school band concerts than anything else.  ;D  But you know what that's all about. ;)

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2011, 12:58 PM »
This song brings back some memories for me.  In 1976 at the Pori International Jazz Fest (Finland) the Army Jazz Band I was in played a job at the Hotelli Otava.  We followed Herbie Hancock and Wah Wah Watson who had played there a few hours before us.  We attempted to play a big band arrangement of Chameleon to end our first set.  Our attempt was a disaster.

When we left the stage Herbie Hancock was standing in the wings and quipped, ”Nice job guys.  What was that song you just played?”  Can’t blame him for having fun at our expense, the song was hardly recognizable.  :-[

That's so cool.  I actually didn't really get into Herbie until I heard him and John Mayor do a song called
Stitched Up

Ever listen to Jon Cleary and the Aboslute Monster Gentlemen?

Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen - 'Mo Hippa' PART 1

Big D Perkins is probably my favorite rhythm guitarist (and plays a mean lead too).  Can't figure how he got the nickname though.

Offline LarryH

• Senior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2011, 01:24 PM »

Ever listen to Jon Cleary and the Aboslute Monster Gentlemen?

Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen - 'Mo Hippa' PART 1

Big D Perkins is probably my favorite rhythm guitarist (and plays a mean lead too).  Can't figure how he got the nickname though.

No, Can't say that I have,  But I will now!  Good stuff.  Thanks for the lead.

Both the John Mayer and Jon Cleary music reminds me a little of something I have listened to...

blues traveler - but anyway, live

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I posted JJ Grey and Mofro earlier in this thread.........but they deserve an encore.  So soulful.

JJ Grey & Mofro - The Wrong Side

Offline UncleLar

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00 AM »
As long as we're doing encores.

An original, "Babelfish", plus a Zeppelin cover, "Black Dog".

Pure Cane Sugar Band: Babelfish

Pure Cane Sugar covers Black Dog, Elk Creek Cafe 2009

Their debut album "Comeback Home" is available on iTunes

Support your local musicians.  ;) 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:15 AM by UncleLar »
I henceforth promise to never rarely respond to kid again.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2011, 03:36 PM »
Ozzy Osbourne-led Black Sabbath returning in 2012 with first album in over three decades   :)

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/11/14/black-sabbath-reunion-2012/
PSU hoops fan since 2/28/66!

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Here's a new band I've been digging lately.  They have sort of a grit/southern soul rock vibe.  Black Crowes meets Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I'd Be Lyin

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2011, 10:47 AM »
LP, ever hear of this band? I saw them once as a warm up band for Lynyrd Skynyrd in Hershey and I thought they were pretty good. I even went out and bought one of their albums. 

Brother Cane - Got no shame (Headbangers Ball)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:23 AM by CAPPY »

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37 AM »
LP, ever hear of this band? I saw them once as a warm up band for Lynyrd Skynyrd in Hershey and I thought they were pretty good. I even went out and bought one of their albums. 

Holy Random!  I was just looking for this band YESTERDAY!  I remember there was a song in the 90's I really liked that came off some weird compilation or soundtrack.  I could only remember "Cane" but kept thinking Citzen Kane (i know).  Anyway, I really like Brother Cane a lot!  I liked that during the grunge scene when most bands were only playing power chords, these guys really knew what they were doing, musically.

Anyway, thanks!  I found "hard act to follow" and I'm pretty sure this song was their biggest hit. 

And Fools Shine On

Brother Cain "And Fools Shine On"

Offline LPcreation

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41 AM »
PS - I never would've guessed you were a rock and roll guy.  What a nice surprise.  Check out Silvertide if you like the last few bands we've been posting.

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20 PM »

Continuing from another thread, the first time I heard U2's "Lemon", I knew I had to find something else to listen to.

I had lived in North Carolina for a few years while in the Marines.  Got a good taste of Southern Rock, and I've loved it ever since.

Offline NittanyIllini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2011, 03:38 PM »

Continuing from another thread, the first time I heard U2's "Lemon", I knew I had to find something else to listen to.

I had lived in North Carolina for a few years while in the Marines.  Got a good taste of Southern Rock, and I've loved it ever since.

Yeah..."Lemon" pretty much did it for me too.

LP, I'm surprised I haven't run across "Blackberry Smoke" here in Atlanta.  I'll have to look out for them now.  I grew up a big Southern Rock and Roll fan, from the days of Skynard and the Allmans, through Molly Hatchet and the Black Crowes.  Sort of spoiled Down South when it comes to great home-grown music across just about all genres. 

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2011, 03:45 PM »
PS - I never would've guessed you were a rock and roll guy.  What a nice surprise.

???  Saw ZZTop as a "warm up" band in '71, also saw Deep Purple, Sabbath, Humble Pie (twice), Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull in the early 70's.   ;D

Offline timauman

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Saw ZZTop as a "warm up" band in '71, also saw Deep Purple, Sabbath, Humble Pie (twice), Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull in the early 70's.   ;D

Boy, what a gray beard! ;p

I've always been a big Alice Cooper fan. Still buying his albums as they come out and say him about two years ago at the Clearfield County Fair, still puts on a heck of a show. Good mix of the popular tunes and the not so well known songs. Feel he is vastly underrated from a lyrical point of view.
formerly manatree

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19 PM »

Yeah..."Lemon" pretty much did it for me too.

LP, I'm surprised I haven't run across "Blackberry Smoke" here in Atlanta.  I'll have to look out for them now.  I grew up a big Southern Rock and Roll fan, from the days of Skynard and the Allmans, through Molly Hatchet and the Black Crowes.  Sort of spoiled Down South when it comes to great home-grown music across just about all genres.

as per YouTube, regarding U2's Lemon...

>>> "The song has been described as futuristic German disco." <<<

Yup,....    nuff said !!!   

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Saw ZZTop as a "warm up" band in '71, also saw Deep Purple, Sabbath, Humble Pie (twice), Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, and Jethro Tull in the early 70's.   ;D

Boy, what a gray beard! ;p

I've always been a big Alice Cooper fan. Still buying his albums as they come out and say him about two years ago at the Clearfield County Fair, still puts on a heck of a show. Good mix of the popular tunes and the not so well known songs. Feel he is vastly underrated from a lyrical point of view.

Coop still tours, he was in Lancaster last fall and he was in Reading last August and he'll be in AC on Friday night. Hope to see him in concert again one of thses days.   :)