Author Topic: Ricky Tunstall  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Great Santini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ricky Tunstall
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:02 PM »
I'm watching the Delaware - New Hampshire game and I glance through the Delaware roster and I see the name Ricky Tunstall.  I vaguely remember watching a men's hoops game in Rec Hall in the early 1980's. I think we were playing St. Francis of PA and they had a 7 foot kid from Tyrone, PA named Ricky Tunstall. I did a google and came up with Ricky Tunstall from Youngstown State being a 1984 draft pick of the Knicks. I was wondering if he is any relation to the kid on the Delaware team.

Anybody remember him?

Offline pmhewitt

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Re: Ricky Tunstall
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:14 PM »
I'm watching the Delaware - New Hampshire game and I glance through the Delaware roster and I see the name Ricky Tunstall.  I vaguely remember watching a men's hoops game in Rec Hall in the early 1980's. I think we were playing St. Francis of PA and they had a 7 foot kid from Tyrone, PA named Ricky Tunstall. I did a google and came up with Ricky Tunstall from Youngstown State being a 1984 draft pick of the Knicks. I was wondering if he is any relation to the kid on the Delaware team.

Anybody remember him?

I don't recall him but I'd have to almost guarantee there is a relationship there.  Too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Offline pmhewitt

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I misread your 1st post and thought both guys were 7'.  But I guess that is not the case so I take back my original statement.

Offline psuhawk11

• Applicant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I thing Tunstall played for Altoona High. Nick Leasure was from Tyrone and played for St Francis...I think it was 1978 when they beat PSU in Rec Hall.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53 AM »
I thing Tunstall played for Altoona High. Nick Leasure was from Tyrone and played for St Francis...I think it was 1978 when they beat PSU in Rec Hall.

Yes, Tunstall did play for Altoona, I watched him play there in high school.

Quote (selected)
Altoona 1979- 7'1"  Ricky Tunstall and 6'8 Lou Schmidt dominated Lebanon and Sam Bowie in a pre-season scrimmage and had a great season before injuries ended their quest for PIAA gold!

http://www.pahoops.org/dynamicduos2.htm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:14 AM by CAPPY »
PSU hoops fan since 2/28/66!

Offline psugrad83

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Tunstall did play for Altoona, as Cappy said.  I saw him play for Altoona a few time and in an all-star game at old Chief Logan HS in Lewistown.  Could be his son at Delaware.
A fan since the days of Frank Brickowski.

Offline Evan Ceg

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:49 PM »
He's a freshman defensive back from Glassboro HS in Glassboro, NJ.  From the Blue Hens' website bio:  Roderick Larenza "Ricky" Tunstall ("ton-stall")...born December 30, 1990...son of Walter Brown and Antoinette Tunstall...has an older sister...undecided on major at Delaware...enjoys drawing in his spare time...cousin, Walter Brown, played football at Kansas.

No reference to the Ricky Tunstall of Altoona HS basketball note, but I suppose Antoinette Tunstall could be related to him.   

Offline tjb

• Administrator
  • Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • PennStateHoops.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I think Ricky Tunstall played for Duquesne. We really wanted him but were out pretty early. I remember Harter telling me that there was no shot before he committed.
tjb
South Portland, ME

Offline Great Santini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 06:38 PM »
I think you're right - Duquesne, not St. Francis.

Offline NittanyIllini

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06 AM »
Maybe the Ricky from Altoona is related to KT Tunstall...

Look at these lyrics from "Suddenly I See"

And she's taller than most
And she's looking at me
I can see her eyes looking from a page in a magazine
Oh she makes me feel like I could be a tower
A big strong tower
She got the power to be
The power to give
The power to see

'Taller than most"..."I could be a tower"...Height seems to run in that Tunstall family ;D

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I remember Ricky Tunstall now.

Rice beat Grgurich by signing big-time recruits Doug Arnold of Norwin High and Bruce Atkins of Wilkinsburg in his first year. The next year, he signed highly touted Ricky Tunstall from Altoona. Combined with Clairton's John Moore, they provided the inside game the Dukes needed to complement the electric play of Valley grad B.B. Flenory.

This was back in the time Western PA still produced hoop recruits.

Those 5 players mentioned above were high rated recruits. Ricky was a BIG body!  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:23 AM by tundra »