Author Topic: OT: PSU Football  (Read 516935 times)

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
Re: OT: PSU Football
« Reply #1875 on: April 9, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Anyone else glad we didn't get that big name coaching hire everyone wanted?

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2012/04/from_champs_to_chomped_how_urb.html

Good read!  Thanks.   But, I think this is what is expected when winning HCs can make 5-7 MILLON a year.
I think the day of most college HCs being "educators" is over.  I see them as the same as pro coaches. They just don't walk out to the parking lot with the players. This gives the HC denyability about the type of super expensive cars that these unpaid students are driving! 

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: April 9, 2012, 04:09 PM »

No, I doubt that anyone is glad.

Reality is, Penn State football fans would sell their souls just as quick as any other school.  We have seen the worst, and what the fanbase willthink.

I would say that the vast majority of Penn State football fans would still take Urban Meyer with open arms, just minutes after reading this piece

Offline Phanatic

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1877 on: April 9, 2012, 04:44 PM »
If the allegations are true, no I don't want him.  I also would not want Calipari.  If a coach comes in, and wins big, but leaves your program in devastation 4 years down the road, then no, I do not want him.

I think some of the NCAA rules are rediculous, and gentlemens agreeements are good if both sides follow them.  If not, go raid his recruits.  If he is the only one doing it in the big 10 and everyone hits his recruits and leaves everyone else alone, I think it hurts OSU in the end. 

If he runs OSU like le article alleges he did Florida, they will be on probation for a long time.

What does piss me off about OSU was how htey were allowed 2 staffs during bowl season while we coached with 7.  The NCAA granted a special allowance for Urb.

Lets see, major violations by OSU = NCAA probation for OSU = recruiting advantage for Urb = raid the other teams prospects while they are coaching in bowl games.

Nice ESPN exposure = FAVORITISM

Lets see what Urb is up to in 5 years.

Offline psujb

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1878 on: April 9, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Reality is, Penn State football fans would sell their souls just as quick as any other school.  We have seen the worst, and what the fanbase willthink.

I would say that the vast majority of Penn State football fans would still take Urban Meyer with open arms, just minutes after reading this piece

I don't mind disagreeing with your premise. Most fans perhaps, most alumni not. I think we have been conditioned that way. I take pride in it without feelign sanctimonious. My opinion.

Offline mjg

• Nittany Lion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mgreen17025
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: April 9, 2012, 05:19 PM »

So what is your stance?  That was my question.  I know there are plenty of idiots who would gladly hire satan himself if it meant winning a few more games along the way to hell.

Offline Skeeza

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35 AM »

So what is your stance?  That was my question.  I know there are plenty of idiots who would gladly hire satan himself if it meant winning a few more games along the way to hell.

My stance?  I would say no way.

All the PSU fans there were hoping he would come here, did any of them think this guy was NOT dirty?

The only thing that surprised me about that article is that Meyer did not do near as many things that were NCAA violations that I thought would be coming out.  The things he did may be unethical, but I don't see many violations.

Offline DJSWay2

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: April 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Still waiting for that athletic director search...

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: April 23, 2012, 08:25 AM »
PSU hoops fan since 2/28/66!

Offline PSUClassof2011

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33 AM »
My impression has always been that even amongst alumni, football and winning is a Really Big Deal (tm) because it gives them something to beat their chests about. Collateral damage is a minimal issue.

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33 AM »
UMass landing on 2014 slate   :-\

In and of itself, I have no problem with it.  A nice favor from OB to his home state.

The problem is the marquee game on the 2014 OOC schedule is...Rutgers.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34 AM »

In and of itself, I have no problem with it.  A nice favor from OB to his home state.

Agreed.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: April 23, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Works for me!  I like to win games!  Winning leads to more winning!
New England is becoming a good PSU recruiting area.

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40 AM »

NO Tom. The marquee games in 2014 are the top Big101112 games. to$u, Wisc, Neb, SCum, Ill. et al.   THAT's a VERY difficult schedule.  OCC should be cupcakes!

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Fortunately PSU's non con football schedules should improve again in 5 years thanks to this. Plus, Penn State and Pitt play a home-and-home series beginning in 2016.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:48 AM by CAPPY »

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Will NEVER understand the "strong OCC" group.  to$u, wisc, scum and neb gives us 4 MONSTER games.  Got to me one of the national hardest schedules!  WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT.  Do you like 5-7 seasons???????????   or  4-8???????????

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03 AM »
All I want to see is ONE decent non con game a year. A Pitt or a PAC 12 team each year works for me. I do miss the good old days when PSU had a Bama or a ND on the non con schedule every year.

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Will NEVER understand the "strong OCC" group.  to$u, wisc, scum and neb gives us 4 MONSTER games.  Got to me one of the national hardest schedules!  WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT.  Do you like 5-7 seasons???????????   or  4-8???????????

Because as a fan, driving up to State College to watch cupcake games 3-4 times before October gets old.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11 AM »

Because as a fan, driving up to State College to watch cupcake games 3-4 times before October gets old.

+1

Offline Bulldog

• Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: April 23, 2012, 09:22 AM »

+1

Ditto!!!

Offline tundra

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32 AM »

Stay home and watch the games on the tube.  With all respect intended................we will do fine without ya!   

Seriously folks. You just can't have everything. If BOB is serious about student athletes and graduating kids THEN this is a HUGE difference to many top 30 schools! 
The Big101112 is PLENTY tough. Used to be is was a "big two."   NOW most everybody (not sure of NW and IU) spends HUGE money and has HUGE commitment to winning. So, not it is now a  "Big nine or so." 
STEP has changed PSU seat buying. Season ticket holders are dropping like lead balloons. Individual games ticket sales will be HUGE. All games will be available. Pick and choose what games you want to attend and stay home for the rest..............and quit   :'(   

Offline Tom

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36 AM »
No one is asking PSU to schedule 4 BCS conference teams for the OOC schedule.

But a team with some national relevance would be nice.

And no one will be worried about STEP as soon as this team starts winning again.

Offline CAPPY

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Good god, as you have often said here tundra, THANK GOD FOR THE IGNORE BUTTON!  ::)

Offline MarkH

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1898 on: April 23, 2012, 10:12 AM »
All I want to see is ONE decent non con game a year. A Pitt or a PAC 12 team each year works for me. I do miss the good old days when PSU had a Bama or a ND on the non con schedule every year.
I think that's going to be the expectations going forward...  As we've discussed in hoops before, conference records are zero-sum games, so you have go out of the conference and beat SOMEONE to give yourself credebility nationally.  Also, extend that argument to the whole conference and no-one can really tell how good you are if no-one in the conference ventures out beyond the traditional ND games  (they'll have to rely on previous year's bowl records, and do we really want to go THERE?  :-[  ) 

When you get down to it, how hard is is going to be to run the B-10 and the B-10 champ. game.  You're likely going to come out of that with 1 L.  You need a decent non-con win to get you in the conversation of 1-loss teams.  If you DO run the conference, the argument is going to be the league is down beacuse a team with a munchcake schedule is running the tables.  That's just how it works.

Beating Umass and Rutgers doesn't set us up well, IMO, if our aspiration is a (mythical) NATIONAL title.

Offline timauman

• Nittany Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25 AM »
My main beef is that if we are going to continue to play IAA teams, give the cash prize to a Pennsylvania school.
formerly manatree